The safety of our Fellows and staff is our top priority. VCCA will be following all recommendations and guidelines put forward by the French Government as they evolve.
These guidelines are subject to change.
On your residency contract, you will be asked to agree to abide by VCCA COVID guidelines. Fellows refusing to abide by the guidelines will be asked to leave.
Fellows are required to sign and return a COVID Waiver form no later than 14 days prior to arrival.
Monitor Your Health
While you may be a carrier and asymptomatic, we ask that you stay home if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19. We will work with you to reschedule your residency. If you develop any of these symptoms while at le Moulin à Nef, please notify the office immediately.
- Fever or chills
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle or body aches
Before Traveling to France
All Fellows may need proof of vaccination in order to enter France. Please be sure to read your airline’s requirements carefully, as well as the Government of France information carefully before you travel.
- Send your vaccination certificate to Cheryl Fortier, Resident Director with “Vaccination Card” as the subject.
- Send your signed waiver to Cheryl Fortier, Resident Director with “Waiver” as the subject.
- Send your signed emergency form to Cheryl Fortier, Resident Director.
- Be sure to bring paper copies of all of your documents such as vaccination records, EU QR code, etc., even if you have them installed on your phone.
- Please be sure to check your airline and government sites regularly as information regarding COVID-19 and travel may change frequently.
- Be sure to check what is required for you to re-enter your country of residence or the country that you will next be visiting several days before your departure from le Moulin à Nef. If you need to provide a negative COVID test, you will need to have turnaround time to get the results.
Traveling to VCCA’s Le Moulin à Nef
Please follow all CDC, airline, and Government of France guidelines while traveling to VCCA.
While You Are in France
You will no longer need a vaccination pass to be able to enter restaurants, theatres and cultural venues. Nevertheless be sure to carry all of your up-to-date vaccination records with you when you travel.
As of March 14, 2022, the wearing of masks is no longer required in any of the places where they were formerly required with the exception of health and medical establishments, pharmacies, and laboratories.
Even though masking laws have relaxed in France we strongly encourage you to:
- Use a high quality mask, such as an N95 or equivalent while traveling and consider changing your mask a few times during long voyages.
- Practice physical distancing.
- Practice hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- Consider masking when in crowded situations.
- If you have arranged to be picked up at your destination by VCCA staff you will be provided with a new mask and asked to wear it and to apply hand sanitizer before entering the vehicle.
Upon Arrival at VCCA’s Le Moulin à Nef
- Wear a mask whenever you are in the VCCA vehicle (mandatory), regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.
- Wear a mask and/or face covering in common areas until you have a second negative test result, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status, unless alone in a closed room/studio or while eating.
- Practice physical distancing.
- Practice hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- We encourage all Fellows to practice physical distancing at le Moulin à Nef, especially during their first week of residency.
- While away from le Moulin à Nef we strongly encourage you to consider masking when in confined or crowded places, to practice physical distancing, and good hand hygiene.
- At all times practice hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette. Cough into your elbow or a tissue. Dispose of the tissue after one use.
- Air your bedroom and studio several times per day.
- Do not bise (French air kiss) or shake hands. Instead, offer an elbow or fist tap as a greeting.
- If at any time you think that you have been exposed to COVID or if you develop even mild symptoms, mask up and contact the office immediately by calling +1 33 6 33 29 53 69. We will provide you with a rapid COVID test. We can also provide a thermometer and an oximeter.
- Thank you for being cautious as it will help us to protect our VCCA community.
Each Fellow will be assigned a private bedroom as well as a private studio. Bathrooms are shared. They will be cleaned regularly and cleaning supplies will be provided in each one. We ask that you wipe down surfaces, switches, and door knobs regularly.
At this time VCCA does not allow overnight guests. Whether we invite guests to dinner or have open studio events will be determined by the level of Omicron in our area.
We ask all Fellows to take a supervised rapid COVID-19 test that you will self-administer under the supervision of a VCCA staff member upon your arrival. We ask that you self-administer a second test under the supervision of a VCCA staff member on day 3 after your arrival. VCCA will provide the tests. Please wear a mask indoors until after your second negative COVID-19 test.
Please do not self-administer the tests privately. We want to be sure to monitor the testing directly. If you prefer to take a PCR test, the information on how to do so is listed below.
A Positive Test
If you test positive on your rapid COVID test, you will be required to self-isolate in your bedroom and/or your studio. If that test is positive, you should inform everyone that you have been in contact with in the past 48 hours that you have tested positive. You will have to isolate yourself in your bedroom and/or studio for five days with no interaction with other Fellows and staff. If your result is positive or your symptoms are still strong, you will need to continue to isolate until day 7. At that time, if you no longer have symptoms, you can come out of isolation. You will need to mask and be sure to practice hand hygiene and safe distancing for six days after you come out of isolation.
If you test positive, staff will work with you and with other Fellows to assure that you have your own bathroom to use, to help you get the food and supplies that you need, to arrange dedicated kitchen time for meal preparation, and to discuss disinfection practices.
Covid Testing in Auvillar
Antigen testing (rapid) can be done at the Auvillar pharmacy by appointment only. You can drop in or call to make an appointment. The cost is 25€.
Pharmacie d’Auvillar: 05 63 39 65 04
From a U.S. cell phone: +1 33 5 63 39 65 04
Local nurses can do PCR tests by appointment (10€ if you go to an office; 15€ if a nurse comes to you). Call to schedule at least one day in advance. It takes 24 to 48 hours to get you your results, so plan accordingly. The total cost for lab work and the appointment is approximately 60-65€.
Cabine Infirmières (local nurses): 05 63 29 03 67
From a U.S. cell phone: +1 33 5 63 29 03 67
If you need help making appointments, email Cheryl or drop by the office during office hours.
Hand sanitizer will be available in the common areas around the property.
Cleaning supplies will be provided in every bathroom in the residence and studio building. Wipe down door handles, light switches, and faucets regularly. Air out your bedroom and studio regularly.
Housekeeping is done once to twice a week in common areas. Your bedroom and studio will have been aired, cleaned, and made up for you before arrival. Once you are here it is up to you to clean your room and launder your linens. Laundry facilities are available for use by Fellows.
Between residencies, bedrooms and studios are aired out and cleaned thoroughly based on French government recommendations.
VCCA staff will prepare breakfast on your first morning in residence and two dinners per week. We will let you know when the dinners will take place. Please avoid entering the kitchen when VCCA staff is preparing meals.
The kitchen is a shared space. We ask that you wash your hands as soon as you enter the space, wear masks until you have tested negative a second time and use common sense when working in the kitchen with other Fellows and when dining together. Leave space at tables, alternate seating, and dine outdoors. There are outdoor tables in the garden behind the Maison Vieilhescaze and if the weather is inclement but warm there is a table on the covered balcony.
Please be aware and accepting of the choices of others. Fellows may prefer to dine alone. Be sure to communicate with your housemates and VCCA staff. Let your colleagues know the space you need to feel comfortable.
Cleaning and disinfecting supplies as well as clean dish towels will be left in the kitchen for your use, in the upper cupboard to the right of the sink. Wash the dish towels regularly.
Please use the dishwasher at all times to ensure proper cleaning of dishes. For anything that cannot be cleaned in the dishwasher, be sure to use hot soapy water when washing. Staff will clean the kitchen a few times per week.
Updated October 25, 2022