CALL TO VCCA FELLOWS!
We are seeking proposals from our Fellows for a site-specific artwork that is visually arresting and conceptually sophisticated. This installation will be the centerpiece of a fundraising event entitled "The Commission", so it should create or inspire a memorable environment for guests, one that is interactive or theatrical or provocative or . . .
THE PROPOSALS must consist of a partnership between two or more VCCA Fellows from at least two different genres (visual art, literature, film, music, etc.)
We would love to see projects structured in such a way that guests could depart with a relic or memento of the piece. It could be as simple as a poem or a CD, or as complex as an art multiple that is given away by the drawing of lots or an auction.
See specifications for the proposal itself below.
THE SITE is Morven Farms, one of the most beautiful and historic properties in Virginia, now managed by the University of Virginia Foundation. It's a stunning setting. The event will take place in the "Meeting Barn". Some photos of the building and its surrounding area are below. The installation proposal can be for the interior, exterior - or a combination of the two.
To see photos and videos of the venue, or to go to the Morven Farms website, scroll down.
THE PRIZES: the winning team receives:
- Residencies at Mt. San Angelo in advance of the June 1 event
- An invitation to be guests of honor at "The Commission" on Saturday, June 1, in the company of over two hundred sophisticated arts patrons
- Winning Fellows will also enjoy the benefits of a significant publicity campaign.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PROPOSALS
For the purposes of this commission, VCCA is interested in work that activates or enhances a site on the grounds of Morven Farms, whether by sound, or light, or objects, or music, or words, or ... surprise us! The piece could be placed in another context with adaptation, so it is not necessary to be exclusively site-specific—but it should integrate into the Morven Farms landscape or site. This will not be a permanent installation - so do not make your project dependent on attachments (no screws, nails, glue, etc.) to any interior or exterior structures, including trees. Morven Farms is an historic site, which means this installation must be designed so that it can be removed without leaving a trace. Projects that do require permanent installations will not be considered.
HARD COPY PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
- A written description consisting of two pages or less.
- Ideas for where it would be sited. (For more information about potential areas, see the photos below as well as the Morven Farms website.)
- Drawings of the proposal or photographs of similar work.
- A website link to give us an idea of your previous work.
Mail hard-copy proposal to:
VCCA - The Commission
154 San Angelo Drive
Amherst, Virginia 24521
- Written description of proposal in Word or PDF - two pages or less.
- PDF of drawing or photo that specifies your chosen site on Morven Farms for the installation.
- PDF of drawing of proposal, or photographs of similar work - or include a link to a website that has these images.
- Website link to give us ideas of previous work.
- Link to video or film, optional. Please be aware that video streaming at VCCA is risky. For example, VIMEO rarely runs without buffering interruptions — so use the smallest resolution that gives a good image of your work.
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS TO BE AT VCCA March 15
WINNER ANNOUNCED April 1
INSTALLATION CAN BEGIN as early as May 15
THE COMMISSION EVENT Saturday, June 1
FOR MORE INFORMATION firstname.lastname@example.org
ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED IN THE COMING WEEK - SO PLEASE CHECK BACK
The "Meeting Barn" at Morven Farms.
Side view of the "Meeting Barn" at Moven Farms.
View from side of "Meeting Barn".
Patio in front of "Meeting Barn". If the weather is cold or rainy, the patios will be tented for "The Commission" event on June 1. Either way, the patios will be part of the setting for the cocktail party.
Patio as seen from front of "Meeting Barn". If the weather is cold or rainy, the patios will be tented for "The Commission" event on June 1. Either way, the patios will be part of the setting for the cocktail party.
View of patio from inside the "Meeting Barn". If the weather is cold or rainy, the patios will be tented for "The Commission" event on June 1. Either way, the patios will be part of the setting for the cocktail party.